Saturday, March 7, 2009

Walking on the Wrong Side of the Street

Who knew that something as simple as growing up in a left-hand / right-drive could affect a person so much?

I grew up in the Philippines which follows the Amercian way. Drivers sit at the left side of the vehicle and passengers at the left side.
Moving here in Singapore, it is the opposite following the UK system, with drivers on the right side of the vehicle instead.
Okay sounds easy enough since anyway I don't drive, I just ride.

But this simple difference permeates unconsciously to other aspects. When I walk for instance, I automatically move to the right side of the sidewalk. But here, unintentionally, they walk on the left side such that it is literally a direct collision for me and people walking on the opposite direction. In the Philippines, everyone walks on the right side so that the incoming person who is also on the right is on the opposite side - ie. no collision course.

If ever there is a direct hit, I would automatically move further to the right. However, the person opposite me, weaned in the Singaporean way, would move to the left so that facing each other, it is not reversed and instead we end up going into the same direction! So automatically, we both move to the other direction still ending up blocking each other. This has happened to me countless times! And it is quite unnerving.

Another effect is turning around a corner. With the way, I am used to, I would turn close to the corner if I am turning to the right and would walk further from the corner if I am heading towards the left. However, for the locals, it is the opposite such that they would turn close to the corner if they turn to the left. So this means once again, direct hit!

Crossing the street, I would look at the painted arrows to see where a car was coming from because unintentionally I would always look to the left first. I know, I can just as easily move my head in one direction then the next but I always feel so stupid to look at the wrong side of the road.

It is quite unnerving to have these stupid little mistakes. And I always feel like an imposter whenever it is not automatic to me because it so obviously points out that I am not a local.

Who knew something as simple as where the side of the road that one drives in would affect so many little things too?

No comments: